Tuesday 27 August 2013

Mini in a Tin and Book Cover Wall Hanging

While reading some of my favourite blogs recently I was moved to create something with birds, they seem to be the flavor on many blogs and they are such beautiful creatures. Now I just needed to decide on what I wanted to create! I am Guest DTing for Lavish Laces for August and September and wanted to make something a little different to show off the lovely products.

First up was a small wall hanging that I made using an old book cover from a gardening book.




A lovely image from 'The Feathered Nest' blog was sewn to a piece of old linen and a layer of cheesecloth and then attached to the book cover using a strong glue (Helmars Quick Dry). The lower section was adorned with four different laces and trims from Lavish Laces and a little gathered tulle to soften the mix. With some antique buttons and a layered flower added I was happy with the look.

The top was kept simple with a little lace, banner and a knot of tulle and lace tucked under. The hanger was made from a lovely thin trim. On the back of the wall hanging I left the printed page because I thought it was effective and looked nice, a lovely scalloped lace was then added to the top to neaten everything up.




The next thing I made for Lavish Laces was a little mini album in an altered tin and I have to say I absolutely love this little project.











I simply decorated an aged tin with a little cheesecloth, bird image, flower and lace and enclosed inside the sweetest little cloth mini album. The cover is made from an old Dictionary spine, the top half for the front and the bottom half for the back covers. The pages are made from a vintage napkin cut to size and stitched together with emboidery thread for the binding, each having a bird or nest image that I obtained from 'The Feathered Nest' blog and is embellished with little pieces of lace, words and the odd charm and feather. I love how it turned out. In this instance I used Helmar's Quick Dry glue as my adhesive and I know it would also be ever so lovely hand stitched :)


Thank you so much for joining me today

Jeanette

9 comments:

  1. Jeanette these projects are stunning, it was thanks to you I discovered Lavish Laces, there are so many beautiful trims available. Love the bird theme.
    When watching your videos I often hear you mention thrift shops, do you acquire your doilies from this source? I live on the Gold Coast, there doesn't seem to be many of these shops around here? Are there more in Brisbane?
    Cheers,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elaine :) thank you so very much for your lovely comment and yes I find a few doilies in thrift stores but I also sometimes find them in lots on ebay (if the price is good ;))I don't live in Brisbane I live on the Sunshine Coast and there are a few here.
      - Jeanette

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helo Jeanette
    Oh WOW! What gorgeous creations with those laces and doilies. I just think your mini Bird book is just something so very special - It's sooo beautiful and am inspired to create one tiny one now if I ever get the time for it. I have just completed a larger model book for a friend in a swap which I will eventually post.
    I will have to come back and look at your videos but am off to gym right now!
    Enjoy this beautiful Spring weather!
    x Suzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much Suzy, I'm very touched that you like it. I've been saving some more colourful bits and pieces to finally start a Gypsy style album inspired by your wonderful works, ever so nervous but excited :)
      - Jeanette

      Delete
  4. This little book and tin is so, so amazing, I love it!
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele I really do appreciate that.
      - Jeanette

      Delete
  5. Hello Jenette:
    We are team mates on Helmar's and i came to visit your blog. Lovely work. Interesting to see you have suzy's badge on your sidebar. I too visit suzy. She has inspired me very much and i see you are going to as well. I have started my collection of doilies, and have just finished up one of my albums. It was my proto-type book, now the fancy ones are to come. (now that I know what I am doing...lololo) Chat later with you.
    Ava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ava, I am a huge fan of Suzy's work, she is one very talented lady! I'm very happy that we will be working together :)
      - Jeanette

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)